: OPBSI Launches “Sis, I Got You! Rising Up to End Sexual Violence” :
OPBSI Launches a powerful and inclusive national campaign for Sexual Assault Awareness Month this April with a series of events called "Take Action Tuesday". Chapters and Collectives are encouraged to continue to host their own SAAM events as well as participate in the campaign, spearheaded by the national Marketing team.
Today's #TakeActionTuesday is about having conversations. Our 3-part #TakeActionTuesday graphic depicts a conversation, a process as it's unfolding, and ways we can take action! 85% of women impacted by sexual violence do not feel safe telling anyone about their experience and as Sisters, we must continue to learn the ways to support Survivors with our words and actions! It's a process for the survivor and the supporter - we hope these 5 action steps can serve as every day ways we take action!
1. Listen with love
2. Suspend judgement
3. Believe them
4. Offer support
5. Action plan together and connect to campus/community resources
Here are some way to take action in your communities. We encourage sisters, chapters and collectives to support these SAAM events near them:
- EVERYWHERE: National Day of Action: April 5, 2016
- North Carolina: Sexual Assault Awareness Month Events at UNC Chapel Hill: https://carolinaunion.unc.edu/news-features/features/sexual-assault-awareness-month
- Indiana: Seuxal Assault Awareness Month Events at Indiana University https://studentaffairs.indiana.edu/dean-students/sexual-violence/its-on-us/sexual-assault-awareness-month.shtml
- Connecticut: Get involved! Connecticut Alliance to End Sexual Assault
- California: Breaking the Silence Open Mic Session: April 8th at UC Berkeley
- Boston: Rape Crisis Center Walk for Change: April 10th http://www.barcc.org/join/events/walk
- NYC: Awareness Rally: April 10, 2016 11am-2pm - Join Center Against Domestic Violence for a community rally and resource fair! OPB will have a table - contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in tabling or attending!
- Chicago: Stand Up & Speak Up: Thursday, April 11 - The goal of this workshop is to help survivors connect with other survivors and members of the community to break the silence around sexual violence.
- Where: YWCA Parks Francis Center, 6600 S. Cottage Grove, Chicago, IL
- When: 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Contact: to RSVP call Tiffany Stevens at 773-955-3100, x2638
- NYC: Healing Center Teen Dating Violence Awareness 5th Annual Walk-A-Thon: April 16, 2016 9AM - Contact email@example.com if you are interested in reppin’ OPB and taking strides to support youth in NYC!
- Chicago: Addressing Sexual Violence and Mental Health in Our Immigrant Communities: Friday, April 26 - This workshop will address the impacts of sexual violence, particularly among Latino immigrants. RSVP contact Paulina Garcia at 312-733-2102, x2196 or firstname.lastname@example.org or Cynthia Cruz at 773-862-3100, x2013 or email@example.com
- Chicago: Taking Steps to End Sexual Violence: Logan Square March and Rally: Saturday, April 27 10 a.m. - 1 p.m - firstname.lastname@example.org
- California: Rally in LA - Denim Day: April 27th 8AM on 1015 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA
- Florida: Show Solidarity with Survivors as they Speak Out: From Surviving to Thriving Celebrating the Voices of Survivors: April 29, 2016 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Where: Lakeview Health, 1900 Corporate Square Blvd., Jacksonville, FL 32216
- New Jersey: Zonta Club of Northern Valley NJ’s 19th Annual RAVE WALK - Saturday, April 30, 2016, Pascack Brook County Park