OPBSI to Celebrate 25 years in Miami at Convention: Mosaic of Sisterhood
New York, NY – January 22, 2014
* For Immediate Release *
Director of Public Relations
Omega Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. (OPBSI) is proud to announce the 25th National Convention Weekend which marks the organizations historic milestone since its establishment on March 15, 1989 at the State University of New York at Albany. The celebratory weekend will be held on March 13th – 15th at the Hyatt Regency Hotel located at 400 SE2nd Avenue in Miami, Florida.
This historical milestone started with humble beginnings as a small university club and has led into a comprehensive national organization that continues to educate communities and raise awareness of the violence against women all in an effort to eradicate the disease that plagues our society.
Now in 2014, we reformatted our convention to ensure that the entire weekend is filled with events, activities that are catered to not only our sisters but our family and friends. The weekend includes educational and interactive workshops, customized tour packages through the city of Miami, complimentary meals, customized OPBSI gift bags and much more!
"As a growing organization every year is a milestone to be celebrated, however this year is a bit more special", stated J.Marie Saul, Vice Chair of the Board of Trustees.
"We have been working aggressively to ensure that our vision and mission become a reality for our community and we believe we have accomplished that so far. With the festivities of the 25th anniversary, we will be presenting to the membership and announcing some of the great partnerships that will set precedent for years to come."
In conjunction with its 25th Anniversary, OPBSI is releasing the limited edition Silver Anniversary Pin inspired by OPBSI’s national image the hummingbird. The Anniversary Pin boosts OPBSI’s national bird with an assertive loop and a beautiful finish. The anniversary pin will be available beginning the week of March 1st and will also be at the Gala for sale.
Some events you can look forward to at the 25th Anniversary weekend are:
- Presentation of two (2) new national awards to Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. as National Organization and Anaka Rivera, Chair of Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc., as National Leader of the Year.
- Launch of OPBSI Official Manufacturing Apparel Line.
- Recognizing National Honoree Recipient Silvana Marmolejos, casting director for various reality shows at MTV & the Tr3s Networks, & the Founder of "Quinces Con Causa".
- Well renowned keynote speaker Rosa Clemente, a community organizer and independent journalist who has focused her work on research of national liberation struggles within the United States and has written for Clamor Magazine, The Ave. Magazine, and The Black World Today.
- Celebrity athlete Eve Torres who will serve as Mistress of Ceremonies (MC) is a sister of OPBSI and professional dancer/model/professional wrestler. Eve is best known for her work with WWE, and has also appeared on several television shows, including Show Me The Money, Sunset Tan, and Deal or No Deal.
OPBSI's National Convention occurs annually in the month of March, in honor of the organization’s founding date. Sisters from all over the nation gather to share experiences, reconnect and make new memories. This year’s convention theme is "Mosaic of Sisterhood." Now we hope our family and friends can join us on this momentous action of celebration, educational workshops, civic training and cultural entertainment.
For Registration and Ticket information visit: www.OPBSINationalConvention.org
Omega Phi Beta Sorority Incorporated is a Greek-lettered organization committed to spreading the Awareness of Violence Against Women. The mission of OPBSI is to serve and educate people of diverse backgrounds through sisterhood, leadership and guidance. As positive role models, we promote unity of all cultures, focus on the empowerment of our gender and raise the standards of excellence in our academic, social, and personal endeavors. OPBSI envisions a world without oppression, where empowered women celebrate the essence of womanhood and act as resources in the advancement of their communities. For more information visit: www.OmegaPhiBeta.org